With the cold weather going strong this week, we decided to make a soup that we haven’t made in a couple of years. I don’t know why we haven’t made it recently, because it is absolutely amazing! It’s not a difficult recipe, but it does take about 30-40 minutes of work in the kitchen.
Here are the ingredients that we used:
2 6oz packages of long grain and wild rice mix
10 cups of chicken broth (separated into 6 cups and 4 cups)
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp Tastefully Simple Onion Onion (recipe calls for 1 cup chopped onion)
1.5-2 cups chopped celery (recipe calls for 1 cup)
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk (recipe calls for half-and-half)
2 tbsp dry white wine
2 cups cooked shredded chicken breasts (we used rotisserie chicken from Costco)
1. Pull out your beautiful Le Creuset enamel-coated iron cooker (or other large cooker). We got ours from the Le Creuset outlet because it has a tiny chip off of it. It still works perfectly, and you have to search to find the chip.
2. Bring the following to a boil over medium-high heat: rice, 4 cups of broth, 1 seasoning packet from the rice mix.
3. Cover, reduce to low, simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
4. Meanwhile, melt 3 tbsp butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add celery, onion, and other items that you may want (mushrooms are yummy in this as well). Cook, stirring often for 10-12 minutes until tender.
5. Once the rice was finished, we poured it in with the celery/onion. To make it easier, you could cook the rice in a separate pot than the big cooker.
6a. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute (or until thickened and bubbly).
6b.While I was doing this, Tim was hard at working picking and shredding our chicken. He’s a master at this! We do love our pre-made rotisserie chickens!
7. Gradually, whisk in remaining 6 cups broth, and cook (often stir) 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
8. Whisk in half-and-half and wine.
9. Stir in celery mixture, chicken, and rice.
10. Pour into your bowl and enjoy!